Thursday, May 28, 2009

Jack Bitten By Ruby

Hi,

Last Sunday evening, my housekeeper noticed a cut on Jack's body but it was not very bloody and Jack was not in pain but behaving very normal.

We thought that he must have got the cut from some of the potted plants branches or the base of the palm tree, his favourite afternoon napping place.

First thing on Monday morning, I took Jack to the vet. The vet told me that she needs about 15 minutes to patch him up. After shaving the problem area, the vet called me in to have a look as there are 2 punctured holes caused by a bite and not a cut as I initially thought.



The vet need to stitch Jack's wounds after sedating him so I have to leave him behind for the day.

My family and I concluded that Ruby, though chained up, she must have lunged at Jack when Jack was within her range of attack. Jack has a tendency to go and drink her bowl of water though Ruby have been sharing it with him without problem. They drink from each other bowl all this while. It is is more likely that Jack went to the main door and this is within her range as the chain is fairly long.



We are so upset and I created a bigger dog pen on the other side of the car porch to restrict Ruby's movement. This is better than being chained up but we still walked Ruby twice a day , as per normal, and take her our for peeing too. Ruby does not show any resentment but we were joking that she may think that she is special and have her own special den.


We have started to look for a new home for Ruby and she must be the only pet dog. If not successful, we will still keep Ruby but we just want to make sure that Jack remaining years are good ones for him and not being fear of bitten again.


David

No comments: