Sunday, April 19, 2009

Jack's Great Escape

Hi,

I was opening the gate outwards to talk to a neighbour yesterday morning and did not notice that Jack was nearby.

Jack ran out of the gate immediately and my dear wife was screaming at Jack to come back and started to go after him. I told her not to run after Jack as he would ran even faster.

I went to take some dog biscuits and his leach before I started to go after Jack too.

My wife managed to get Jack's attention by shouting his name and biscuit. Jack stopped and made a U-turn and ran back towards the house, passing her. Jack was running quite fast and passed me too but I threw a biscuit towards him on the road.

Jack again stopped running and came for the biscuit, I went to grab Jack's collar and guess what happened?

The collar came off as I tried to grapple to leach him.

My immediate thought was that there was no way I can catch Jack as I have no way of holding on to him.

However, I threw another biscuit and called out to Jack out of desperation!

My greedy Jack ran back again for the biscuit and this time he was so eager to have his treat again that he did not mind my climbing over him with legs holding on to his body and at the same time, putting the collar back on him and then leach him.

I must say that I was lucky and got him this time......sigh

Lesson learned :

- I should not have opened my gate outwards but inwards.

- Arm yourself with biscuit or dog treats to lure Jack back especially if your dog does not respond to the Come command unlike Ruby.

- Stay calm and not run after the dog as it will run even faster and away from you,

Wow...... if Jack has ran away and beyond our catching him back, I would be lost myself today, my family too!

We really need to be watchful and weary of our dogs.

Take care!

David

No comments: