Friday, April 3, 2009

Attacked by Dog - What You Should Do

Hi,

So you know what to do when face with an attack by a dog?

There was this article published in My Paper on 31 March 2009:

There is a very low probability of a dog attacking a human, except in cases of outright provocation, like throwing stones at the animal, kicking it or taunting it; according to a veterinarian.


So be smart and just leave them alone when you see them on the streets, according to one dog owner.


Still, what should you do in the event of a dog attack?


One expert suggested that you should stand as still and upright as possible, and don't stare down on the dog. Running away is a definite no-no, too.


In the dog world, the size of their prey matters. By standing upright, you are towering over them, which is a sign of dominance and , thus, intimidation.


He further claimed that while standing still, though difficult, is the only way of telling the dog that you mean no harm.


If the dog persists, the most important area to protect is the face.


The vet said that you should cover your face and press your elbows to your sides. This way, if the dog bites you, your ears, eyes, rib cage and vital organs are protected.


Well, I still remember cycling to school when I was young and sometimes passed by a few houses that have not closed their gates and their dogs would rushed out barking at me. I would cycle very fast to get away as far as possible and the dogs would only run a short distance and then stopped. I do not think I have really out ran them but they have left their territory instead, I think!


I think it is important to remain calm and not panic; the above advice should be applicable but at times it also depends on the type of dog attacking you.


Anyway, take care and watch out for stray dogs as my brother was bitten by one many years ago and it took him a long time to get over it. But I am glad to say that he is now a dog owner, partly because of his kids though.


Take care!


David

No comments: