Wednesday, March 5, 2008

More Pedigree Dogs Abandoned - Appeal !

I like to share portions of the above letter to the press following the publication of the article on 'More Pedigree Dogs Abandoned' recently.

"A cute puppy is not just a status symbol - Letter from TAN AI LING
......

I appeal to everyone considering a dog — the cost is not the initial thousand dollars, but the thousands of dollars for vet bills (especially in their last days), damaged furnishings, as well as the hundreds of hours spent cleaning, training and integrating a dog into your family.

I have had two dogs, both lived to ripe old ages of 13 and 15 respectively. Unfortunately,
dogs are not like children who learn to clean up after themselves and can be reasoned
with.

Dogs remain eternally child-like and thus, unless you are ready for a toddler for the next 10 to 15 years, I suggest you get a RoboDog.
......."


I totally agreed with the above statements and I have always advised my friends and relatives not to get a dog for the sake of their children unless they themselves like dogs. It is not only a matter of money to maintain the dog but also the time to care for it. I tried to invite the whole family to play with our 2 dogs and discuss the matter. But many a times, it fell on deaf ears and many of them ended up giving their dogs away eventually.


So I also appeal to you to think through properly before getting a dog for the family.

No comments: